Saturday, April 23, 2011

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for small, underrepresented European countries (which makes sense, seeing as how I spent 4 months in Finland)

I especially love when people from said underrepresented countries find themselves thrust into the international spotlight. There is no better example of this than my most favorite Blazer of all time (along with Clyde of course) Arvydas Sabonis.



This giant, white, Lithuanian man with a funny shaped head was a strangely integral part of my childhood.

While Sabonis played a number of good years with the Blazers, it was his unsung achievements overseas that really demonstrated this Lithuanian ogre’s athletic prowess. Come on, can Brandon Roy proudly say that he was crowned Mr. Europa, two times running?! (no disrespect, I am an avid watcher of The Brandon Roy Show)

Finally, this year America took note of the amazing man, with the unmistakable haircut, that is Arvydas Sabonis, by inducting him into the hall of fame.

I couldn’t be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment